Intelligent Capping (iCap) for zEnterprise®
Reduce IBM® MLC costs with automated capacity settings
Intelligent Capping (iCap) for zEnterprise dynamically automates and optimizes defined capacity settings to lower your monthly license charges by an estimated 5%-10% or more, while mitigating risk to your business. iCap analyzes, simulates, and automatically manages changes to defined capacity settings based on workload profiles, enabling IT staff to confidently lower costs.
- Lowers your MLC costs by targeting costly, low-importance workloads, while ensuring that the most important workloads are not capped.
- Eliminates the complexity involved with capping.
- Manages changes to capping limits automatically.
- Dynamically offsets increases in capping levels with decreases based on workload importance and policy profiles to reduce overall MSU peaks.
- Patent-pending technology ensures that changes are cost-aware, meaning that no increase to MLC costs will result from balancing capacity limits across systems.
Capping to meet your needs
With Intelligent Capping you'll feel smart about what you can save
Lower IBM MLC costs through intelligent capping
Continuously monitor and adjust DC/GCL parameters of managed LPARs, such that the capacity is set at an optimum cost level for current workload demands.
Maintain capacity neutrality and reduce overall MSU peaks
Offset capacity increases with decreases across LPARs. Through workload prioritization, LPAR and WLM group capacity increases are offset with capacity decreases on LPARs that have excess capacity or low importance workloads.
Extend the power of WLM grouping
Manage capacity across multiple WLM groups or across WLM groups and individual LPARs.
Implement with confidence
A gradual implementation process provides low business risk through three operational modes: OBSERVE (collect data), MESSAGE (simulate changes), and MANAGE (take action).
Experience cost-aware capping
Patent-pending technology ensures that your policy drives capping adjustments based on cost impact, so that the most important business services are not affected when lowering MLC costs.
"Intelligent Capping dynamically controls peaks without delaying critical workloads...an 18% to 20% reduction in my MSU utilization.”— John Campbell, Technical Services Manager, Kemper
Read the customer story
See how iCap can work for you
- Safe, optimized capping that reduces your peak MSUs and MLC costs by an estimated 5%-10% or more.
- Automate simple and complex LPAR capping strategies for which you previously never had time.
- Integrate with Cost Analyzer to implement capping actions that are recommended for particular LPARs.
- Optionally, use Cost Analyzer information to help target and quantify capping opportunities.
- Retain complete control, while lowering your 4-hour rolling average.
- Increase staff productivity and enable more team members to work on strategic IT transformation projects.
- Eliminate business disruptions that are caused by manual capping efforts.